Baby Jones

 BabyFetus Ticker

Sunday, January 12, 2014

38 Week Update


Cayden isn't so little anymore, weighing close to seven pounds and measuring 20 inches long. Fetal development is nearly complete as he tends to a few last-minute details like shedding the skin-protecting vernix and lanugo. He's also producing more surfactant, a substance that prevents the air sacs in his lungs from sticking to one another once he starts to breathe. Most of the changes this week are small but important: He’s continuing to add fat (so he can take advantage of all those photo ops by sporting a round, cute baby look!) and fine-tuning his brain and nervous system (so he can deal with all the stimulation that awaits him once he makes his entrance into the world).

Mommy Update:

Contractions (Braxton's) are really strong.  The pressure is on in my pelvic and hip area.  I've been taking warm baths and using a thousand pillows and methods to sooth my body.  Thomas has been an awesome massage therapist through this pregnancy.  I'm on auto pilot and relaxing at home.  Walking in stores is pretty much impossible for me because I'm tired by the time I walk in.  As far as sleep, I'm sleeping about an hour to and hour and fifteen minutes at a time before I have to get up and pee.  

This past week I finalized my birthing plan, filled out emergency contact information, along with Cayden's pediatrician name, number, and address.  All important documents are ready to go and accessible for daddy when we arrive at the hospital.  

We have an appointment this Thursday, so stay tuned for updates to come.  Love you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment