Baby Jones

 BabyFetus Ticker

Monday, November 11, 2013

Failed Glucose Tolerance Test


Failed Glucose Tolerance Test

Yes, I failed my glucose tolerance test.  Am I upset? NO!  Our pregnancy has gone very well thus far, so there is no need to "freak" out now.  I just have to follow my doctors orders, re-take the test on Thursday morning and roll with it.  Life & this pregnancy does not stop here.  I just thank God I have a support system that doesn't badger me for eating a piece of chocolate cake or a Dr. Pepper.  So stay tuned for updates!

How is the screening test done?
When you arrive for the test, you'll be given a sugar solution that contains 50 grams of glucose. The stuff tastes like a very sweet soda pop (it comes in cola, orange, or lime flavor), and you have to get all of it down in five minutes. Some centers keep it chilled or let you pour it over ice and drink it cold.
An hour later (bring a book or magazine!), your practitioner or a technician will take a blood sample from your arm to check your blood sugar level. The idea is to see how efficiently your body processes sugar. The results should be available in a few days.
If the reading is too high, which happens 15 to 23 percent of the time, your practitioner will have you come back for a three-hour glucose tolerance test to see whether you really do have gestational diabetes. The good news is that most women whose screening test shows elevated blood sugar don't turn out to have gestational diabetes.

 Jones Party of 4

1 comment:

  1. Such a positive attitude to have! No better way to be! I have heard of many women failing the 1st test, but passing the 2nd one. Its all in God's hands...which is the best place to be!

    ReplyDelete